Saturday, September 27, 2008

Road Trip to Cinci for Over the Rhine

I've recently found myself digging out my old Over the Rhine CD's for fresh listens. I'm listening to their album "Eve" as I write this.

I'm especially excited because I'll be going to Cincinnati to see them play in December. I've been to Cinci several times but never to see OTR. Each December they do a special Christmas Concert at the Taft Theatre, and I've considered going in the past (especially when they performed with Sixpence None the Richer), but for some reason I've never made the trip.

This year's Taft concert is extra special. They are celebrating 20 years of making music and they've divided the concert into two nights. December 19, will focus on the first 10 years and December 20, the second. I'm especially excited because the first night will include former members Ric Hordinski and Brian Kelley.

I've been a fan of the band since the early 90's. My first OTR album is a cassette copy of "Patience." But for some reason I never caught the band live while Brian and Ric were part of it. I had so many chances since they came through Michigan quite often. The first time I saw them was sometime in the late 90's while they were touring in support of "Good Dog Bad Dog." There shows have been among my favorites each year. Whether I've caught them at the Ark, an outdoor festival, or Calvin College, there has always been something magical about Over the Rhine live. Much of that is captured in the amazing songs they've written over the years.

That said, I have to admit I've regretted never seeing the original four piece band live. Their live shows were legendary. The band had more of an edgy rock sound. Right now I'm listening to "Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander" and I get excited thinking about the band doing this live.

My personal favorites are "Circle of Quiet" and "Within Without." The December 19 show might be incomplete if those songs don't find their way on the set list. It has been fun watching the discussions on their web page posting board as people discuss the songs they have to see. They may have to play into the wee hours of the morning to make all their fans happy.

I'm also looking forward to night two of the concerts. Karin and Linford have continued the OTR legacy beautifully with albums like "Ohio," "The Trumpet Child," and "Drunkard's Prayer." OTR is different but they are still a powerful force to be reckoned with. "Ohio" is one of my favorite albums from 2003. These two nights will be a wonderful celebration of this band, a band that deserves far more recognition and acclaim.

2 comments:

Αναστασία said...

Ohhh my goodness, I am JEALOUS! ;]
But SO happy for you...OTR is responsible for some of my favorite songs of all time.

Brook said...

I don't know about you, but I'm hoping and praying for a warm green Christmas this year...especially in Ohio! That state is long enough to get through without white-knuckling it for hundreds of miles on icy freeways. Are you guys doing all 3 days?