Friday, January 3, 2014

My Top CD's of 2013

I listen to quite a bit of music each year through my work at Trinity House Theatre, WHFR.FM, and 88.1 The Park. Here are the CD's and songs I enjoyed the most.

Albums
1. Joshua Davis - A Miracle of Birds (Earthwork) - Amazing songs from the lead singer of Lansing's Steppin' In It. They were birthed out of a trip to Palestine. Song after song is great but "Waiting on the Dove" is a song above songs.

2. Jars of Clay - Inland (Independent) - This CCM band broke away from their Nashville label and created the best album of their career. I also had a chance to see them live with about 100 people at the Crofoot Pike Room and it was one of my favorite shows this year.

3. Jason Harrod - Highliner (Independent) - Jason created his most complete album yet. Poetic songwriting with great musical twists. I've seen him perform many times and his live show has gotten stronger and more confident.

4. Daniel Amos - Dig Here Said the Angel (Stunt) - I'm always glad to see new music from Terry Taylor and his cohorts in Daniel Amos. This fits in well with the rest of their albums and is one of their best.

5. Over the Rhine - Meet Me At the Edge of the World (GSD)- This is one of those albums that you need to live with for some time. I hear new things with each listen. It is especially cool to hear Linford's harmony vocals on so much of the music.

 6. The Civil Wars - The Civil Wars (Columbia)- I wasn't sure this would be in my top 10 but as I came back to it I was struck by how strong it is.

7. Jason Isbell - Southeastern (New West) - The former Drive by Trucker member comes into his own with this CD. I liked bits and pieces of his former band but this album tops them all.

8. Court Yard Hounds - Amelita (Columbia)- New music from 2/3 of the Dixie Chicks is always good. This is their second album as a duo and big step forward from their first disc. Right away you notice much stronger songs that should be on pop radio if there was any justice in the world.

9. Harper and Motor City Josh - Bare Bones (Blu Harp)Harper sets aside the didgeridoo and as he and Josh turn to an acoustic blues focus. I'm glad someone brought them together through a live performance because this duo should make plans to record and perform more.

10. Blue Rodeo - In Our Nature (TeleSoul) - I've always been aware of Blue Rodeo and I really liked their classic song "Lost Together" but I've gotten more into their music over the last several years. I'm looking forward to the chance to explore their past catalog in a more serious way.

11. Dolly Varden - For Awhile (Mid-Fi) - I got this CD early in 2013 and knew it would be among my favorites of the year. This Chicago based roots rock/Americana band deserves more acclaim due to the strong songwriting of Steve Dawson and the excellent musical performances.

12. Mavis Staples - One True Vine (Anti) - Mavis has a voice that demands to be listened to. She totally owns these songs with one strong performance after another. This is the second disc that Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) produced.

13. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter at the Feast (Vagrant) - Fuzzy rock and roll influenced by bands like The Jesus and Mary Chain. I became a fan after their CD Howl which had more of an Americana influence. I love their cover of The Call's "Let the Day Begin."

Honorable Mentions
Audrey Assad - Fortunate Fall (Fortunate Fall)
Sam Baker - Say Grace (Independent)
Slaid Cleaves - Still Fighting the War (Music Road)
Ryan Dillaha - Awful Blue (Independent)
Eels - Wonderful Glorious (Vagrant)
Gifts or Creatures - Yesteryear Western Darkness (Earth Work)
Gungor - I Am Mountain - (Hither and Von)
Haim - Days Are Gone (Columbia)
Emmy Lou Harris and Rodney Crowell - Old Yellow Moon (None Such)
Jan Krist and Jim Bizer - Too (Yellow Room)
Graham Parker and the Rumour - Three Chords Good (EMI)
Pinnick/Gales/Pridgen - Pinnick Gales Pridgen (Magna Carta)
Red Tail Ring - The Heart's Swift Foot (Earth Work)
Brion Riborn - Don't Look Back, Never Look Back (Independent)
Stryper - No More Hell to Pay (Frontier)
Switchfoot - Fading West EP (Atlantic)
Robert Randolph and the Family Band - Lickety Split (Blue Note)
Richard Thompson - Electric (New West)
Brooks Williams - New Everything (Red Guitar Blue Music)
Holly Williams - The Highway (Georgiana)

Songs
1. Slaid Cleaves - Still Fighting the War
2. Joshua Davis - Waiting on the Dove
3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Let the Day Begin
4. Haim - The Wire
5. Harper and Motor City Josh - Why Can't We All Just Get Along
6. Daniel Amos - Forward in Reverse
7. Emmy Lou Harris and Rodney Crowell - Open Season on My Heart
8. Jars of Clay - Reckless Forgiver
9. Over the Rhine - Earthbound Love Song
10. Court Yard Hounds - Sunshine

2 comments:

Scot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scot said...

Holy myocardial infarction! Bill posted something!