Friday, January 2, 2009

Bill's Top Albums of 2008

I love checking out year end best of lists. I always like seeing which artists I missed and who might agree with me. This year it looks like I missed TV On the Radio and their CD "Dear Science." That CD put them on so many best of 08 lists Here are my favorites from this past year. Who did I miss and what were some of your favorites?

1. Rodney Crowell “Sex & Gasoline” - His CD's have been among my year end favorites since his 2001 CD "The Houston Kid." This album finds him working with Joe Henry on songs about women from an imagined woman's perspective.
2. JD Souther “If the World Was You” - Legendary songwriter who has written songs for Linda Ronstadt, The Eagles, James Taylor, The Dixie Chicks and many others. This album finds him working with some amazing Jazz players including Bela Fleck, Jeff Coffin and Rod Mcgaha on his first album in almost 25 years. Great music and very thought provoking songs.
3. The Pretenders “Break Up the Concrete” - Chrissie Hynde enlists new band members in a much more rootsy, Americana project. I stumbled on this CD in December and it quickly became one of my favorites of the year. I love Chrissie's voice and now I want to dig back into the Pretenders vast catalog.
4. Sam Phillips “Don’t Do Anything” - Sam has worked with former husband T Bone Burnett as her producer and for the first time takes on the producer's role. This album fits in well with her past two, "Fan Dance" and "A Boot in A Shoe."
5. John Mellencamp “Life Death Love and Freedom” - I became excited about this CD when I heard that John would be working with T Bone Burnett. I recently listened to John's greatest hits and realized what a wealth of great music he's recorded. This album finds him stretching even more.
6. Steppin’ In It “Simple Tunes for Troubled Times” - The first of many Michigan artists in my top albums of 08. This Lansing quartet has recorded the best album of their career, and they've recorded some very good ones. My favorite song is "Break of Day" which takes on the idea that bigger is better. The fact that it takes a few shots at the current state of radio makes it even more poignant for me. Their cover of Randy Newman's "Mr. President (Have Pity on the Working Man)."
7. Jackie Greene “Givin’ Up the Ghost” - This California songwriter has been selling out the Ark for several years. This was my first introduction to his music. When I first heard it I thought it might be my pick for the best of 08. It has dropped a bit but its still among the year's best. Trivia note: Bruce Spencer of the 77's is Jackie's drummer. Jackie sings some vocals on the 77's latest "Holy Ghost Building."
8. Jakob Dylan “Seeing Things” - A more acoustic, stripped down recording from the son of "Bob." He enlisted the production help of Rick Rubin who gets credit for reviving Johnny Cash's career in the 90's. He has the unenviable task of following in the footsteps of his dad, but this album is a great step in that direction.
9. American Mars “Western Sides” - American Mars is one of the top bands in the Detroit area. I had only heard a song or two from their previous CD's so this album was a welcome introduction in the winter of 08. Their website describes their sound as atmospheric roots-influenced rock. I hear the influences of bands like the Jayhawks, Ryan Adams and Tom Petty.
10. Brooks Williams “The Time I Spend With You” - Such a smooth singer, songwriter and guitarist. He's become one of the favorites at Trinity House Theatre over the years. The title track from this album became a favorite of mine through his live performances. He's equally skilled at singing folk, blues and jazz.
11. Brian Vander Ark “S/T” - My friend John turned me on to Brian's solo work. I was a fan of his work with the Verve Pipe but solo CD's find him exploring a bit more of a sophisticated pop sound. This is one of those albums that has grown on me with each repeated listen.
12. Ralston Bowles “Rally At the Texas Hotel” - The Grand Rapids based songwriter released this album on Judy Collins' Wildflower Record Label. He teamed up again with critically acclaimed producer Marvin Etzioni. I really enjoyed "Velvet Elvis", with Charlie Sexton on vocals. Like his first album this one kicks off with a Mark Heard cover ("Satellite Sky"). I'm just glad this includes a version of his concert favorite "Friend of God."
13. Greg Mahan “Thirty Five Cent Daydream” - Greg is a very talented Cincinnati based songwriter. This CD was eight years in the making. "Fireflies" and "Thirty-Five-Cent Daydream are two of the most beautifully nostalgic sounding songs I've heard. "Mento" will remind you of "Graceland" era Paul Simon. Here's hoping he will get some wider recognition.
14. BoDeans “Still” - The BoDeans have been favorites of mine since college. This album finds them teaming up with T Bone Burnett again. They've had a couple pop breakthroughs but have generally stayed under the radar of most people.
15. Emmylou Harris “All I Intended To Be” - On this album Emmylou returns to her roots with producer Brian Ahern. He produced her first 11 albums. I would have been happy with another album with Daniel Lanois or Malcolm Burn producing but I like this change of pace. "Shores of White Sand" and "Gold" are very beautiful.
16. The Innocence Mission “Street Maps”
17. Rachael Davis “Antebellum Queens”
18. Lindsay Buckingham “Gift of Screws”
19. Jen Chapin and Rosetta Trio “Light of Mine”
20. Larry Norman “Rebel Poet, Jukebox Balladeer: The Anthology”
21. Martyn Joseph “Evolved”
22. Seventy Sevens “Holy Ghost Building”
23. Al Green “Lay It Down”
24. My Dear Disco “Dancethink LP”
25. Kate Campbell “Save the Day”
26. Jon Foreman “Limbs and Branches”
27. Christopher Williams “Sweet Redemption”
28. Mark Erelli “Delivered”
29. Dave Boutette “The Piccolo Heart”
30. Thrice “The Alchemy Index Vol. 3 & 4 – Air & Earth”
31. Luke Sayers and the Last to Know “Radio Flower”
32. The Refugees “Unbound”
33. Rosie Thomas “A Very Rosie Christmas”
34. Bonnie Bramlett “Beautiful”
35. Jeff Coffin and Charlie Peacock “Arc of the Circle”
36. John Oates “1000 Miles of Life”
37. Doug Hoekstra “Blooming Roses”
38. Claire Holley “Hush”
39. Dolly Varden “13”
40. Joe Wilson and Drew Howard “Steels Heal the World”

4 comments:

Scot said...

Man, you gotta listen to some Eels and some Nick CAve.

Unknown said...

it's amazing how little I know off that list! I have a feeling your 3000 CD's look a lot different than my 3k.

here's a few of my picks:

Radiohead might not be for everyone, but I thought In Rainbows was In Credible as far as that whole genre goes...

a couple CDs I'm a bit surprised to not see on your list (though I don't yet know your music collection well enough to be surprised) - the new Kathleen Edwards (Asking for Flowers) hits the top 20 for me, and the new Aimee Mann (@#%&*! Smilers) is @#%&*ing great!

and...um...ok, I'll just come right out and say this in all seriousness... the new Whitesnake CD rocks like no CD has since the 80's. Not a lot of street cred in that statement, I know, but still, "Good to be Bad" reminds me why I loved pop metal for more than a decade. Coverdale delivers the goods while other hair metal bands can only hopelessly wish to recapture a fraction of their glory days.

and yes, I agree with Scot, you gotta listen to some Eels, though I don't think they released anything new last year anyway, just 2 massive retro-comps.

stay tuned, more to come...

mediamogul said...

Scot and Brook

I have the Eels w/ Strings and I like it. Good stuff. Nick Cave is OK by me. I liked the song Dig Lazarus Dig, but I can only take him in small doses.

I liked the Kathleen Edwards disc but never bought it. I think I have her first CD. I saw Aimee Mann this summer with Squeeze. It was a great show and I've been close to buying the new CD a couple times, including last night.

I got a Barnes and Noble Gift card last night from my sister and brother and law. I love late Christmas celebrations. I had to go out right away to look at new CD's. I ended up getting the latest Andy Crouch Book and Bob Dylan's CD "Oh Mercy." I tried to listen to the White Snake CD in store but they didn't have that option for that CD. I'll have to check it out sometime.

I liked the bit that I heard of the latest Radiohead but it was another one that I never bought.

Bill

gregmahan said...

Hey Bill - thanks for the placement in your Top 40! Your endorsement will hold an important place in my press kit (such that it is..) now. I always mean to purchase Sam Phillips but haven't got around to it. Well, I mostly listen to stuff that was released before my birth, but I'll give a nod here to R.E.M.'s "Accelerate". I was the first kid on my block / in my school to get into them back in the early 80s. I lost touch with them though, probably because they mostly put out middling albums since the early 90s. But many favorable reviews piqued my interest. The favorable reviews were well deserved. The album rocks, but not in the "we're TRYING to RAWK" way of say, "Monster". Understandable lyrics, which is different than the band I grew up with.
I'll give another nod to Mayo Thompson's "Corky's Debt to His Father". Drag City reissued this late 60s release on vinyl in '08, so I guess it qualifies. Sort of. It's a stretch...
Great, great, slightly off kilter, catchy as hell (after 2 or 3 listens...), out of tune but in a good way, and definitely ahead of it's time. A couple tunes are akin to the Velvet Underground or "Beggar's Banquet" Stones, but much of it sounds like early 80s post-punk/ new wave - hard to describe. I highly recommend it.
O.K. - that's all I have...
Cheers,
Greg